Friday, June 29, 2012
Presidents of the two nations met for the first time during the past 21 years and agreed to continue the dialogue to clarify the relationship between the two sides. Commenting on the development, Silanyo expressed confidence that the co-operation would contribute positively to the fight against maritime piracy as well as terrorism, and will bring peace to the region.
The first formal direct contact in 21 years between the authorities in southern Somalia, formerly governed by Italy, and the Somaliland administration, which used to be a British colony, happened on 21 June near London.
Thursday, June 28, 2012
- After reading Mr. Abukar Arman’s article on “Sustainable Peace: Why Somaliland Matters”, I can’t help but notice a number of rather large inaccuracy and a surprising lack of knowledge on some basic facts. It is particularly disappointing when a representative of the TFG government; someone as eloquent and supposedly well versed on “Somali issues” treats such an important subject i.e. the current relationship and future one between Somalia and Somaliland with obvious inaccuracies peppered with casual and quite superficial observations readily available at coffee shops..
The author wrote that the SNM was secessionist movement; The fact is that the SNM Movement was never a secessionist movement; it was a struggle necessitated by pure survival for an entire people desperate simply to live. Not once did the SNM Movement declare that it is intention was to reclaim sovereignty back for Somaliland, they fought for nothing more than their survival, their dignity, and the need to protect their loved ones. They were made up of ordinary citizens who simply got tired of the daily dose of injustice and brutal treatment administered to them by the regime in Mogadishu.
Mr Silanyo, Somaliland's president, voiced similar optimism.
"This will help for peace in the region as a whole, it will help in the fight against piracy and terrorism," he said.
Very little is known about Somaliland's history before the arrival of the European colonial powers in the 19th. century. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, Somaliland was a powerful Arab Sultanate in the middle ages. These scanty records fall short of elaborating the nature of this so-called Arab Sultanate. Whether the Arabness pertains to Arab rulers or simply an Arabic population is not clear. Many of Somaliland's contemporary clans trace their paternal ancestors to Arabs, so the existing oral traditions seem to lend some authenticity to the history in this book and else where.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
For nearly two decades, from 1991 until the appointment of the government of President Ahmed Silaanyo, Somaliland Republic has conducted a monotonous, cautious and one-dimensional foreign policy, a sort of a Cage Policy. The primary objectives of this policy laid mainly on digging out and telling to the outside world the historical facts and committed atrocities and all the brutal acts that the population of Somaliland have suffered at the hands of the former regime of Somalia in one hand.
- Madaxweynaha jamhuriyada diimuqraadiga ah ee Somaliland Md. Axmed Maxamad Maxamuud ''Siilaanyo'' ayaa maanta u amba-baxaya dalka Iskutagga Imaaraadka Carabta, si uu ula kulmo oo ay u wada hadlaan madaxweynaha maamulka ku meelgaadhka ah ee dalka aan jaarka nahay ee Soomaaliya Md. Shariif Sh Axmed. Dhinaca kale, waxa habeenkii xalay ahaa madaxtooyada dalka Somaliland lagu qabtay, xaflad lagu waynaynayay oo lagu maamuusayey sanadguurada 52aad. ee ka soo wareegtay markii Somaliland ay xornimada ka qaadatay dalka Ingiriiska oo ku beegnayd bishu markay ahayd 26-kii Juun 1860-kii.
Intaasi uun ma aha ee waxa jira war kale oo ay idaacada Somali-voa baahisay oo odhanaya sidan; ''Dalka Masarna, waxa ka furmay tababar loo qabanayo saraakiil ka kala socota wasaaradaha arrimaha dibadda ee Somalia iyo Somaliland, iyaga oo halkaas lagu bari doono dhinacyada xiriirka caalamiga ah, borotokoolka, iyo qeybo kale.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
This has great import for the entire world. Note that the Arab Springis the biggest defeat for organisations like Al Qaeda. This ideological defeat refutes the notion that real change in this region can only come about through organised violence. Remember: one of Al Qaeda's primary aims has been to force regime change in Arab lands. Second, the issue is what form this political Islam will take - given that parties emerging from this background have gained in places like Tunisia and Egypt. To understand that, one must examine the phenomenon of political Islam itself.
Dareenkii ayuu fuliyay oo dawacda dhasheedii ayuu mid la booday oo geedkii guudkiisii ula duulay. Dawacadii oo god keedii ag joogta ayaa weerarka jaarkeedi ku soo qaaday carrurteedii aragtay. Kor hadday eegtayna waxay aragtay in uu ilmaheedii mid qaatay. Inta aanu gorgorkii delin oo googaynin dawacadii dhasha ahayd ee uu qaatay, ayay dawacadii bariday gorgorkii oo ku tidhi, “Waa ku waaga aad cuntada u doonayso oo kale eh, hayga delin ilmaha ee iisoo celi oo ilaali xaq jaarnimada.”
- Despite the jubilant mood of the Somaliland delegation in London and the congratulatory message from Hon. William Hague, UK foreign and commonwealth secretary, the Chevening house achievements of the Somaliland-Somalia dialogue were much below the expectations of most ordinary Somalilanders.
Subsequent to that dialogue, Somaliland citizens were waiting to minimally witness the sovereignty of Somaliland unambiguously put into the agenda of the forthcoming talks with Somalia. To the dismay of Somalilanders, the outcome of the dialogue was limited to few points of concurrence and there was no mention of specific agenda points for future discussions. Additionally, the Somalia people misunderstood Somaliland’s acceptance of the Somaliland-Somalia dialogue and wrongfully misinterpreted it as a softening of the Somaliland government’s stance on its sovereignty issue.
For instance, Mr. Abdiweli Gaas, the TFG Prime Minister spared no time to distort Somaliland’s position in the Chevening dialogue to his malicious desires and said: “We are happy to see Somaliland realizing that Somali unity is the only way foreword”. The TFG prime minister and his colleagues in his tribal Majeertenia enclave need to learn to set their priorities right. They need to work hard for the peace and unity of their own war-torn and politically fragmented Somalia and must not boorishly interferes with the policies and aspirations of the peaceful and democratic neighbouring Republic of Somaliland.
Monday, June 25, 2012
The Somaliland (Constitution) Order in Council 1955 was made on 10 February 1955, but did not come into force until 1957, when the first Legislative Council was set up for the first time. The Council consisted of 15 members, and was presided by the Governor. The rest of the members consisted of the three ex officio members (the Chief Secretary, the Attorney General and the Financial secretary), five official members who were heads of the Government Departments and six unofficial members nominated by the Governor. Nominations for the latter six seats were sought in the Advisory Council, but no agreement was reached on the nominations.
The report came following two Friday US assassination drone attacks on al-Shabab fighters’ Harweyne training base in Elasha Biyaha on the outskirts of the capital, which claimed the lives of at least 39 people.
Sunday, June 24, 2012
Saturday, June 23, 2012
Foreign Secretary welcomes historic talks between Somaliland and Transitional Federal Government of Somalia
- Representatives of Somaliland and the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia met at Chevening House on 20-21 June. The purpose of the talks, the first of their kind, was to establish a framework for future substantive talks. At the request of both parties the meeting was facilitated by the UK government, along with the EU and Norway. Following the meeting the Foreign Secretary William Hague said: “I congratulate the Somali Transitional Federal Government and Somaliland representatives on agreeing the Chevening House Declaration yesterday. We hope this will be a landmark in the process of clarifying their future relations and achieving peace, security and stability in the region. I congratulate both sides on their willingness to continue the talks and to cooperate on areas of common interest. I am pleased that the UK, along with Norway and the EU, was able to build on commitments at the London and Istanbul Conferences on Somalia to support dialogue by facilitating these talks. Britain will work with international partners to support their efforts as they continue this important and historic dialogue.”
Source: Foreign & commonwealth office
Friday, June 22, 2012
- Aan horta halkan judhadaba u hibeeyo hanbalyo guud gudida labada dal ee Jamhuuriyadaha Somaliland iyo Soomaaliya ee ku guulaystay, inay qodobo hor-dhac ah isla qaataan oo ay ka soo saaraan kulankoodii qaayaha lahaa ee shalay la soo gabogabeeyay, oo aan filayno inay arintani noqon doonto aayaha dhaw suduudii loo marayay Seer-ma-waydo-da (Ictiraaf) geediga loo raray ! Si gaar ahna aan u bogaadiyo mudanayaasha shanta ah ee u saftay qaranka Somaliland ''What a Performance!. Intaas ka dib, sida sooyaalka guunka ah ee dadka af-soomaaliga ku hadla ee ku kala filiqsan geeska Africa ku muujisan, colaada iyo dirirtu waa qayb ka mid ah nolol-maalmeedkeena, oo aan marnaba inaga dhixin, hadana sidaasi oo ay tahay, riiq dheeraata ma ay reebi jirin godobteeda iyo naceeduba oo rag uun baa u guntan jiray oo xalin jiray.
Si bogsiimo loogu helo boogaha iyo qoomamka ku samaysma wada-noolaanshaha iyo xidhiidhka bulshooyinka dekanooyinku kala gaadhay ee dhagaraha iyo dhiigu dhexdooda jiifo, waxa ay odayaashii wax-garadka ahaa ee faraadinka ku ahaa nabadayntu ay u gali jireen arimaha mid kastaaba sida ay u taal, iyaga oo nabar kastana u dhayi jiray si isaga u gooni ah! Waxa ugu culus ee dadka soo kala dhex-gali jiray waxa uu ahaa madax-dad (qof-la-dilo) oo la uus-aaso! Uus-aasku waa ka duwan yahay dhagarta caadiga ah. Oo waa qof magan ah, ama socota aan godob galin ah iwm oo lagu dhagaroobo, isla mar ahaantaa la qariyo maydkiisa, waana halka uu magacu ka soo jeedo (UUS-AAS)!
Waxay shimbirihii halkaa ka qadhaabtaanba, mid ka mid ah ayaa afkii uu ciidda ku rogayay wax weyn taabtay. Wuu farxoo wuxuu is-yidhi midho badan ayaad heshay. Afkii ayuu ku qoday meeshii. Halkuu midho ka filayay ayaa jawharad weyn oo dhalaalaysaa kaga soo baxday. Jawaharaddii ayuu afka ku garaacay. Wuxuu arkay in aany wax cuno u noqonaya ahayn, ee ay tahay dhagax oo kale, inkastoo dhagaxii caadiga ahaa ka qurux badan tahay. Intuu shimbirkii jawharaddii rogrogay ayuu ku yidhi, “Waxaan shaki lahayn sidaad u dhalaalayso in aad wax qurux badan oo qaaliya tahay. Haseyeeshee, qof qiimahaaga garanaya ayay ku wanaagsanayd in uu ku helo. Anigase halkaan adiga kaa helay, waxa ii dhaami lahaa in aan ka helo midhadh hadhuudh ah oo cuno ii noqda!”
2: In la qaato hannaan mideysan oo ka hortagaya wax alle wixii caqabad ku noqon kara in labada dhinca ay wadahadalkooda sii wataan.
3: Inay labada dhinac ka go’an tahay sii socoshada wadahadalka iyadoo labada madaxweyne loogu baaqayo inay sida ugu dhaqsiyaha badan u kulmaan si ay dib ugu eegaan horumarka wadahadallada.
Thursday, June 21, 2012
- Following the commitments in the London and Istanbul Communique’s, the Internaitonal Community will support dialogue between the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia (or its replacement) and Somaliland, to clarify their future relations, the two sides met at technical level on 20/21 june 2012, at chevening House
- The Meeting was hosted by the UK and co-hosted by Norway and EU at the request of the two sides
- the propose of this preparatory talks was to establish a frame work for future substantive Talks
- The participants of the meeting welcomed the opening of the dialogue and emphasised their commitment to the continuation of this talks
- The Participants have agreed 8 points:
Naakhuudihii minawaarka ayaa tilmaan u celiyay oo ku yidhi, “Waad mahadsantahaye, iga baydh.” Noobiyaddii ayaa u celisay, “Adoo mudan, adigu baydh”. “Minwaar baan ahay oo xoog baan u socdaaya baydh,” ayuu u celiyay naakuudii. “Waxan ku idhi badydhi maayee adigu baydh,” ayay ku tidhi noobiyaddi. Naakhuudihii ayaa intu xanaaqay u celiay, “Waxan ahay minwaar ciidanka badda ah, oo diyaarado saaranyihiin, oo hub culis saaranyahay, oo ciidan weyn saaranyahay, oo xoog u soconaya. Markaa, ugu dambaystii, amar ayaan kusiinayaa waa inaad baydhaa!” Noobiyaddii ayaa u celisay, “Waxan ahay noobiyaddii, oo xeebtii ku taala, oo ann dhaqaaqayn, oo shaqaale yari maamulayo, ee amar kama damabysa ayaanu ku siinaynaa waa inaad baydhaa!” Ilayn dani seeto weeyee, noobiyaddii yarayd ma baydhin; minwaarkii xoog weynaa ayaa degdeg u baydhay!
W/q: Prof, Cabdi-salaam Yaasiin
By Jacques Couret(Senior Online Editor- Atlanta Business Chronicle)
Source: Atlanta Business Chronicle
BRUSSELS - The EU special envoy for Somalia is looking into a fresh report that pirates are in business with Italian gangsters on toxic waste. The Paris-based criminologist, Michel Koutouzis, who carries out investigations for the UN and for EU institutions, described the problem in a new book - Crime, Trafficking and Networks - published in May.
- The people and the democratically elected government of Somaliland Republic are grateful to the International community and especially to the United Kingdom for hosting and spearheading the Somaliland-Somalia dialogue on their future relations. Somaliland values the great contributions being made by the Norwegian government to this dialogue. We hope this London discussion will pave the way for a permanent peace and cooperation between the two neighborly nations and to the greater Horn of Africa region.
Somalia’s insistence in claiming that Somaliland is a part and a parcel of its territory is solely based on covet and on nothing else. There were no legal bases of a union between Somaliland and Somalia to start with, because there was no act of union signed between the two entities. The people of Somaliland have overwhelmingly voted against the 1962 constitution, which created the annexation of Somaliland through an illegal Somalia’s presidential decree.
On the other hand, Somaliland does not claim a Somalia territory since the borders of the two countries are based on the well demarcated Anglo-Italian borders of the colonial era. Both the African Union and its predecessor, the Organisation of African Union strongly insist in their charters that the colonial borders of African countries should not be altered. Somaliland’s territorial borders are fully in line with the OAU and the African Union charters.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Labada wafdi ee DKMG iyo Somaliland waxaa ay isugu jiraan Siyaasiyiin, Wasiiro iyo Xildhibaano ay kala hogaaminayaan Wasiirka Amniga iyo Arrimaha gudaha ee Dawladda KMG Cabdisamad Macalin Maxamud iyo wasiirka arrimaha dibedda ee Somaliland Dr. Max'ed C/laahi Cumar. Waa markii ugu horraysay oo labadda dhinac ay kulan yeeshaan muddo 20 sano ah, waxaana uu daba socdaa shirkii London lagu qabtay 23 February oo qodobadii kasoo baxay lagu muujiyay in ay DKMG iyo Somaliland ay ka heshiiyaan mustaqbalkooda siyaasadeed iyo xiriirka ay yeelanayaan
Somaliland, Nigeria and British Cameroon become independent same period of time. Britain's handover of Reserve Area (currently part of 5th Region of Ethiopia) to Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie accelerated the end of 80 years of British protectorate. Such handover triggered anger between Somalilanders and all people wore white sheet on their forehead, as an expression of disappointment.
A referendum held in Somaliland in 2001 was almost unanimous, over 97% opted for independence in the ballot box. Hargeisa insists that it is willing to conduct another one should the international community request one. Hargeisa said it was ready to shape talks for cooperation with its southern neighbour should they accept the fact that union is long gone.
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Somaliland has a strong interest in seeing stability re-established in our neighbour, Somalia. We therefore welcome the positive developments which have taken place there in recent months, including progress towards bringing the transition period to an end. At the same time, we pay tribute to the sacrifices made by AMISOM troops and to the important support of the international community, which have helped to bring this about.
Lacagta cadaanka ah ee la siinayaa xubnahaa ku guulaystay waxay haatan dhan tahay $ 1 million (hal milyan oo doolar oo lacagta Maraykanka ah), qaybaaha kale ee dabo socdaana waxa ay ku xidhan yihiin hadba sida ay mashruucyadani noqdaan! Faahfaahin ku saabsan arintaa waxa soo diyaarisay idaacada Maraykanku leeyahay ee Somali-Voa.